Friday 8 January 2016

Low carb energy:

This is something I have mentioned before and something that I feel I should mention again and that is the amount of energy you have when you are living a low-carb lifestyle. The first few weeks might be tough but once you have you electrolytes stabilised and you have fully adapted to burning fat as you main energy source you feel so much better. 

I have mainly experienced this from a running point of view. This post is sparked by me doing a 16.2 mile run at the weekend. Nothing crazy about that as I have been gradually building distance and I took it steady but what most longer distance runners will find different is that I did it on no breakfast, no snacks, no gels, no jelly babies and finished with my fast 3 miles and energy was not a problem. 

Your body, even if you are as amazingly fit and healthy as Katie and I, stores a vast number of calories as fat and so you have a huge resource to use and are extremely unlikely to suffer from energy being your problem on a day to day basis or when running. The key things I would say are keep your salt levels up (I had some salty stock before heading out) and stay hydrated (though I admit I only had around 100ml of drink during the entire run). 

The energy we have is one of the many health benefits we have discovered and one of the many reasons we will not be reverting back to a "normal" high carbohydrate diet. For us at least this lifestyle is extremely healthy, easy and just right and I suspect that many people would feel the same way if they just tried it and stuck to it for 3 months. You forget your sugar craving and you can forget about starving yourself to lose weight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment