Saturday 9 January 2016

Filling low carb Meatballs:

The other day after a tough run I wanted a big meal that was going to give me a lot of calories. We wondered round the supermarket and I felt like meatballs, we got the better quality stuff so they were only around 5g of carbs for 10 meatballs! Of course this did not make a meal so I quickly put together the following, it was nice enough for me to want to post though sadly I ate it all without taking any pictures! 

Ingredients: 
400g (I think) good quality meatballs 
2 onions 
1 pepper
100g mushrooms 
1 tin chopped tomatoes 
4 rashers bacon
cheese to go on top grated
1 tsp paprika 
1/2 tsp cumin 
1 tsp mixed herbs
Butter or olive oil

Instructions: 
1) Brown meatballs in a hot pan in either the butter or oil
2) When all sides are browned add the onions, mustrooms and peppers and fry into slightly softened. 
3) Add the chopped tomatoes and spices and leave to simmer (around 15 minutes) on a medium heat. 
4) Fry the bacon in butter on a high heat until crispy. 
5) Add the herbs and stir in then add the bacon and cheese onto the top of the meatballs and leave for a minute or so until the cheese has melted. 
6) Serve and enjoy. 

The meal certainly filled me up after a 16 mile run and the spices and herbs were enough to give a little extra flavour but not too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment