Thursday 25 June 2015

Low Carb Cottage Pie

We recently purchased a Low Carb cookbook to try and inspire our meals and give us some new ideas. Having just watched Julie and Julia, the film, I decided that I wanted to do every recipe in the whole book and write blog posts about it all. So here is my first post. :).

Whilst at my parents I thought it was a good opportunity to try out the low carb shepherd's pie. Gary isn't a huge fan of Cottage pie so his enjoyment wasn't great but everyone else seemed to really enjoy it and found it tasty. So what was it?

The base of the pie was beef mince, onions, mushrooms, celery and tomato puree. My dad really enjoy the celery in there and said it added flavour. My mum commented that it could have done with a bit more flavour, maybe in the form of a stock cube, just to boost it a little. This mixture was cooked down for around 40 minutes.
Beef Mince
 The topping was cauliflower mash. We steamed off the cauliflower until it was really tender and then whizzed it up in the liquidiser. To this we added sour cream, cooked bacon and cheese.
Steaming the cauliflower
Once everything was ready the beef was spooned on the bottom and the cauliflower on the top. This was baked in the oven for around 40 minutes.
Ready to go in the oven
Overall I would say that this recipe was a good success and really tasty. I would happily eat the meal again but it's probably not something we'll have at home because Gary didn't particularly enjoy it. It's a great alternative and I felt a good start to the book.
Finished Cottage Pie
I read the introduction to the book and found that the writer seemed informative and matching our diet plans. I'm very much looking forward to trying out some other recipes in the book and letting you know how we get on with our journey through it's pages. In addition to this we'd also like to attempt to make our own low carb versions of recipes. We'll go through our "normal" books and pick out meals that look tasty, from these we'll adapt them to suit our lifestyle. Just because it's low carb doesn't mean it has to be boring and the same all the time. Let's have some fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment