Tuesday 19 May 2015

Cheating on Low Carb - Doesn't work

I have tried to explain in the another post about cheating on a low carb diet and now I want to write why I think this doesn't work and the only evidence that I have to prove this. 

Switching to a low carbohydrate diet or fat burning diet takes time, it takes a while for the full effects to kick in, sure you will lose a lot in the first week because of a decrease in water retention from switching to a diet. However once this has gone you will have a steady decrease as your body burns the fat, this is because your body is in ketosis - ketones are the energy source when the body is burning fat as its primary energy source.

Your body will only stay in a fat burning state when you are not eating carbohydrates so when you do eat carbs your body switches back to burning them and it will take you a couple of weeks to adjust again. A very basic state of ketosis is reached overnight and you break it every time you have breakfast, sure you don't enter a heightened state of ketosis and nor do you start to get keto-flu but you see how simple it is to switch back to burning carbs and not burning fat. 

Below is the only real record of this that I have, after a week of being on this diet and losing a LOT of weight it was Christmas and despite thinking I would be good I am ashamed to say that I caved in and had carbs, sweets, chocolates and potatoes, all very naughty. 



 Hopefully what the above graph shows is that in the first week I lost loads in the less as I caved towards the end of that week and in the 3rd week I lost nothing as I was entering back into ketosis and then my body got back into it and my weight loss then increased through the week and it was steady as I didn't eat carbs. 

This is the best example I have of my body kicking back out of ketosis and and then entering back into it. 

The best thing you can do is read the upcoming post I have on the cheats to eat when you are craving something different or naughty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment